Skip to main content

Ukrop's Monument 10k Recap



This weekend was my second time toeing the start line of the Ukrop's Monument 10k. It is dubbed RVA's 10k. Some 30,000 racers from elite to walker toed this start line. I toed the line in a non seeded seat. What does that mean? To best explain it here is a excerpt from the Ukrop's Monument 10k page :


Wave Categories

Seeded Waves 
Require proof of time. The first 21 waves are reserved for runners who finish faster than 63 minutes. You may use the following items as proof of time:
  • 2017 or 2018 Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k finish time
  • Results from any other race since January 1, 2018:
    • Finisher’s certificate, printed race result, website results or a newspaper clipping
    • We can convert any race, from a 5k up to a marathon, into an 10k Time Conversion Chart.
For more information about Seeded Waves and our new Sub 40 Club, click here.
Non-Qualified Running Waves 
DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to finish faster than 70 minutes (11:16 per mile).

Last year Daniel and I ran in a non qualified wave and since leaving him at the start was not the plan I did not present any required documents to move into a seeded wave. Next year, as we have already discussed it will be different. This way I will truly be able to say I have experienced it all.

Want to read about 2017 Ukrop's Monument 10k? Click here
Last years post picture

Expo: 

This years expo was at the Richmond Raceway. After hitting a patch of traffic on the highway and making the joke that all 30,000 runners were heading to the expo at the same time I got to the raceway. It may not have been 30,000 of us trying to get in but it sure felt like it was. After a few minutes waiting I was parked and heading into the expo.




If you follow me on Instagram you would have seen my story about the traffic to get to the expo. Last year it was held at the Author Ashe Center in which I did not experience any issues with traffic or parking.  The traffic on the highway coupled with the traffic trying to get on the Raceway grounds cut into my time to enjoy the expo. A few quick pictures with a few friends, a new car magnet and 3 Bondi Bands later I was back in my car trying to beat rush hour traffic and the school bus back south to Dinwiddie.
Bondi Bands...My Faves!!! 


Ukrop's amazing cookies! 
Twinning is the only way to go! 

Race Day: 

Going forward, I will no longer allow my husband to control the time we leave. Talk about cutting it close, we arrived in Richmond at 8:45am. Thankfully this race is RVA's race and the city is pretty lenient with parking rules. We hoped off the highway and parked on a patch of grass leading back to the highway. SCORE! Same place we parked last year. We made the walk to the start line and before I could blink our corral was starting.
Morning drive



Start line photo

9:05 am and our wave was off! Daniel and I trained with the Petersburg YMCA 10k Training team which was a change from last year. We were doing that coupled with Beach Body 80 Day Obsession up until my Grandma passed in late February.  I personally had no plans going into this race. I had ran a sub 60 10k in the Shamrock Half Marathon in mid March. I knew I had not been training and just wanted to run.  Daniel said all he wanted to do was beat his time from last year. We decided that we would take it easy and finish strong. When we took off he stayed a few steps behind me. I would look back ever so often and there he would be tossing me a thumbs up. Mile 1: 9:56 I look back and there was no Daniel in sight.

Our rule is that we don't stop and wait. If things are bad we call each other to let the other know but when we are in a race we do not stop. Mile 2: 9:56 Still no Daniel.

Mile 2 is when things got real. This is the moment I kicked myself for not bringing my water. It was getting hotter and hotter. Water was still a little bit up ahead. Please don't leave your water people. I can't stress that enough. This is something I won't do again.

Now keep in mind that I am in a non seeded wave. As I am running I come to walkers 6 deep spread across the road. Yup, a line of girls chit chatting and walking the course not thinking about those behind them. This is a no no in road running. I was watching the other runners trying to figure out there way around the pedestrian wall. Side step one way, a shimmy here and then poof you've made it pass one group. All that work to get around  and to regain your footing to start running just in time for you to hit another wall of pedestrians .

Mile 3: 10:19

I was so happy to make the turn around at mile 3, half way there! It was getting hot and now the sun went from my back to my face.  I ran along the inside in the hopes I would see Daniel. I love RVA! The crowd support on this race is what makes it great! There are local bands all throughout the course. During this race I focused on enjoying myself. That does not mean that I partied down the strip.There were people handing out beer and mimosa's I did not not partake. 

Mile 4: 10:19

Around mile 4 I felt my right calf start to tense up. I continued on and even scurried to a walk ever so often until it subsided. I danced through a group of spectators holding pool noodles in the air and high five'd kids as I ran/ walked by.

Mile 5: 10:03

The crowd had thinned out on the course but the support was still strong. The music continued and a few runners and myself participated with the music when YMCA was being blasted through the streets. There were so many little fun moments. Plus this was the  home stretch.

Mile 6: 10:01

I could see the finish. I could feel the heat, I just wanted to be done so per usual I gave it what I had left.

Mile .21: 8:16


1:02:39 it is a course PR for me but not my fastest 10k. I am thankful for this race. Although it's not what I originally wanted when I signed up for the race, it is what I earned.

After the race I waited at the finish line for my husband. In waiting I was able to see my coworker Victoria and a fellow MTTer  Mike. We chatted up a little and took a few pictures and then they were off. In waiting I was approached by a beautiful soul, Tonya. She advised me she followed me on Instagram and how I was an inspiration. That chat filled my soul! Thank you for stopping and chatting with me. You helped me to see the power we all have. How just sharing a little piece of ourselves can motivate others to do more and to be better.   I love meeting people I follow or follow me on IG, the running community is so inviting and warming. I truly love RVA!



My honey crossed the line at 1:13:46. It was not a PR for him. 

Post race photo
 We talked about the joys and lows he experienced and ventured to get our food!


Yup thats right! This year I pre-ordered a sub from Subway. After the race we went to the Subway tent and picked up lunch. Best idea ever!!!


I love the medals! As last year was my first year I have 2 pieces of the trifecta medal and I look forward to running again next year.



Cons: 

  • Traffic at the Expo 
  • Still not a fan of the brick road but its something you learn to deal with 
  • No tech shirts. You could of course purchase one.

Pros: 

  • Price! Its always an affordable race
  • Subway pick up post race! 
  • No beer garden but Ukrop's loves through their food! lol 
  • Music after the race and post race area





Comments

The People's Choice:

Kill Gym Funk with Vinegar!

Vinegar and gym funk? Say what! Yup Vinegar can kill gym funk. If you've been in the kitchen, watched Doctor Oz or ever did research on losing weight you've heard the word vinegar before. Health nuts drink the red type. Red vinegar is actually used by a number of naturalist to clean their hair and flush fat. White vinegar was a staple in my childhood as my mom used it to clean chicken, wash mirrors and windows and after one trip to Canada, wash clothes. Those of you in the laundry business know what I am talking about. My mom's cousin owned his own laundry mat in Ontario, Canada. One summer changed the course of laundry in my home. Uncle Carl, as I called him, told mom he placed white vinegar in the washing machines to help brighten and whiten the clothes. Over the years I got away from using vinegar on all my loads but recently came back to it. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider using vinegar in your laundry, especially your gym clothes today. 1. Ki