Skip to main content

Plotting on a PR


I go into everything I take on with passion and a goal of being my best. So no matter the challenge put before me I am looking for a way to do it better than I've ever done it before; in other words I strive to be the best! Competitive: Yes; Passionate: Yup; Driven: That's a give in. Life Has taught me "The 12P's";  "Piss poor planning promotes piss poor performance, piss poor performance promotes pain." in other words If you fail to plan, you plan to fail, oh my... I think that's also a saying but between the two you should catch my drift.

I've planned and put my body through the rigors of training, cross training, yoga, long runs and speed runs all behind me minus one more speed run and a shake out run before I attend  the expo on Friday. So naturally like the athlete I have been for oh so long I'm plotting on the miles I have to conqueror on Saturday. 

My madness is quite logical here is a look. Research was the first step. After my debacle with the Sentara Colonial Half Marathon, I've done extensive research on the course I will be running in Richmond. All my research says that miles 5.5 through 7.5, Bryan Park is the roughest. Many runners advise to be ready for smaller crowds and rolling hills. So mentally I prepared myself for this also setting a goal to be there. 

My overall goal for the race is to hit 2:20 minutes at completion. I had to figure out what that meant for me effort wise as well as how I should be doing these miles. I read several articles on running negative splits and here is what I learned:
  1. Miles 1-3: This is the mental part of the race. Where adrenaline and competitive natures can make or break you. Ideally this part of the race should be ran at 5-10 second slower than your goal pace. My goal pace is 10:41.
  2. Miles 3-11: It's time to start building the speed here. Increase slowly and keep it strong. It will get harder but all you can do is hon in on one runner and stick with them. This is where I will find my newest best friend. He or she will help to keep me at the right pace until its time to explode.  
  3. Mile 12-13.1: It's time to really start racing now. Find someone and beat them. Lock in on them catch them and as you pass them find your next victim. Take them down one at a time. Leave it all on the course. As Richmond's final portion is downhill this should be fun and interesting. i am not knocking her but I am hoping that I don't have to pull out my diving skills like Bahamas Shaunae Miller. Although if I was going for a gold medal I'd dive too.. I'm just being honest lol!
So now that I know how I should run the race now let's see what my goal timing and my previous time look like stacked up against each other : 



Sentara Half  Petersburg Half  Goal Run 
mile 1 10:32 9:59 11:04
mile 2 11:04 11:15 11:02
mile 3 10:36 10:47 10:56
mile 4 11:04 10:35 10:52
mile 5 10:28 10:34 10:49
mile 6 10:58 10:25 10:45
mile 7 11:02 10:53 10:41
mile 8 11:03 10:48 10:37
mile 9 11:25 11:04 10:33
mile 10 12:04 11:23 10:29
mile 11 12:20 11:05 10:25
mile 12 11:56 11:22 10:21
mile 13 11:43 10:56 10:17
finish time:  2:26:56 2:23:34 2:20
overall pace:  11:11 10:59 10:41

Looking at the graph above taught me so much about myself. Adrenaline makes me take off out of the gate. I don't realize it until mile 2 and try to pull back every time, to me that's way too late and I will be focusing on that this time around. Nice and easy and keeping the pace as close to 11:04 as possible.  From miles 6-9 i seem to find a grove and from what I can recall I just roll through these straight into the "WHY THE HELL DID I DO THIS" moment.. aka Mile 9.5-12. I am praying that I can keep that away by running this race right.. Negative splits!!! Mile 13 is a breeze this is where, "I'm so ready to go home" kicks in and I sprint my way, or run with all I got to the finish... neither of my half has it been a sprint but in comparison to how I was doing miles 9-12 it is a great improvement! 

Any tips you can share would be great! It's never too late to learn something new! So comment below or  DM on Instagram @HerbNRun.. either way SHARE!! 


Post the Sentara Colonial Half with my Bestie (Insert dancing girl emoji)
Post Petersburg Halloween half with "boss"

Notice there is always a smile when it's over!!! 

I used this Race Splits Calculator to figure out what I should run to hit negative splits. Its pretty cool! 


Comments

The People's Choice:

Kill Gym Funk with Vinegar!

Vinegar and gym funk? Say what! Yup Vinegar can kill gym funk. If you've been in the kitchen, watched Doctor Oz or ever did research on losing weight you've heard the word vinegar before. Health nuts drink the red type. Red vinegar is actually used by a number of naturalist to clean their hair and flush fat. White vinegar was a staple in my childhood as my mom used it to clean chicken, wash mirrors and windows and after one trip to Canada, wash clothes. Those of you in the laundry business know what I am talking about. My mom's cousin owned his own laundry mat in Ontario, Canada. One summer changed the course of laundry in my home. Uncle Carl, as I called him, told mom he placed white vinegar in the washing machines to help brighten and whiten the clothes. Over the years I got away from using vinegar on all my loads but recently came back to it. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider using vinegar in your laundry, especially your gym clothes today. 1. Ki

Ukrop's Monument 10k Recap

This weekend was my second time toeing the start line of the Ukrop's Monument 10k. It is dubbed RVA's 10k. Some 30,000 racers from elite to walker toed this start line. I toed the line in a non seeded seat. What does that mean? To best explain it here is a excerpt from the Ukrop's Monument 10k page : Wave Categories Seeded Waves  Require proof of time. The first 21 waves are reserved for runners who finish faster than 63 minutes. You may use the following items as proof of time: 2017  or  2018  Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k finish time Results from any other race since January 1, 2018: Finisher’s certificate, printed race result, website results or a newspaper clipping We can convert any race, from a 5k up to a marathon, into an  10k Time Conversion Chart . For more information about Seeded Waves and our new Sub 40 Club,  click here . Non-Qualified Running Waves  DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to finish faster than 70 minutes (11:16 per mil