Skip to main content

Let's talk about RVA baby!! Sorry so late...

I've procrastinated long enough. I would love to tell you that I've been resting since Saturday's 13.1 mile adventure through Richmond Virginia but that would be a lie! With a lack of soreness, first time ever, I've been plotting not only on my next race but joining groups to drop so fluff and have already worked out and ran! Lookie there lookie there...my body really is stronger!! Hey now that alone is something to be proud of . A HUGE change since being passed on the kitchen floor aye lol.

Fri-YAY: Expo Day

I have to admit that the joy I was feeling when I woke up knowing that I did not have to work, for that to be further exaggerated by the idea that at 11 am I was going to experience my first EXPO!! Yea I'm sure avid runners are laughing at me, the novices smirking at my ridiculousness.. but new runners.. ya better feel me.  

With the littles off to school, I willed myself to get out and get my last run done. Up and out Nike+ called for a 1.75 mile recovery run at a 11:32 pace. I finished my last shake out run with a smile and rounded up that 1.75 to 2 miles. Back home, showered and fueled i was ready to get  there. 

I truly enjoyed the expo. The free massage, the discount/ sale items! I made sure to grab me some sock cause well.. I love feetures and 14.99 is a but so I grabbed some for 9.99. This made my day.
  
Hubbie at the end of his massage
Expo Swag

Twas' the night before the race...

My sister made it to town pretty early so i was able to call it a night without worrying about the littles. There isn't much more excitement there lol.  I woke up at 5:30 am and hubbie and I got preppared to hit the road. I originally planned on driving myself but Averie's gymnastics class was cancelled so he was free to support me. YAy!!
Flat Tiff

I had plotted my route several times and knew that I wanted to travel down Jefferson Davis Highway instead of coming into Richmond by 95. This allowed me to miss traffic and come up closer to the finish line which made for perfect parking. $10 later and we were walking to the start.


Ready, Set, Go  

It was COLD. At this point I was semi use to it at this point. It took for what seemed like forever for my wave to be called but when it was time. I took off my hoodie and settled in next to young lady who had GREAT fashion sense (we were wearing the same sneakers.) Next thing  I knew my wave was off and i hit the streets running. Crowd participation was amazing! People, companies, friends and families it was an amazing feeling.

I spent time strategically planning my song list for this race. I knew that I had to be at the half way mark by 1 hour 10 minutes or I would not get the PR I was hoping for. When I got to Bryan Park I thanked my husband over and over again for how strong I felt. I was able to power through and pass several people at this point. On your way out of the park the run way got a little narrow and I had a triplet of walkers blocking the path while i was in a strong stride. It took a minute, some grunting and a loud excuse me. I pushed and the next thing I knew we were back in the city and I was losing my wind.


I looked up and there he was. My husband. I swear its like God knew i needed him in that minute. He caught me walking. He didn't shame me, didn't tell me to move my ars but instead he asked me how I felt and reminded me that I only had 2 miles to go. I was at mile 11. I looked at my Garmin and realized, just as he said it, I was in the running of a PR. All I needed to do was pick my feet and go. A splash of water a grunt and a push. 


Now if you've been around you know that I read alot of blogs about this race. Read all about the downhill finish. I truly underestimated the amount of downhill they were talking about. When I saw it i bursted with excitement looked at the people around me and said, " Its all downhill from here" and I put the legs in 5th gear. Go hard or go home right. So that I did!!! 2 hours 20 minutes and 56 seconds. Had I ran that race any worse then I would have never gotten this PR. I loved the Richmond Half Marathon and I will be back... who knows it maybe my marathon run in 2017!

Oh lets not forget that my phone died. It took me an hour to locate my husband and my bad attitude had me back at my house missing a glove lol!!!
Medal #3!







The official time




Comments

The People's Choice:

Kill Gym Funk with Vinegar!

Vinegar and gym funk? Say what! Yup Vinegar can kill gym funk. If you've been in the kitchen, watched Doctor Oz or ever did research on losing weight you've heard the word vinegar before. Health nuts drink the red type. Red vinegar is actually used by a number of naturalist to clean their hair and flush fat. White vinegar was a staple in my childhood as my mom used it to clean chicken, wash mirrors and windows and after one trip to Canada, wash clothes. Those of you in the laundry business know what I am talking about. My mom's cousin owned his own laundry mat in Ontario, Canada. One summer changed the course of laundry in my home. Uncle Carl, as I called him, told mom he placed white vinegar in the washing machines to help brighten and whiten the clothes. Over the years I got away from using vinegar on all my loads but recently came back to it. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider using vinegar in your laundry, especially your gym clothes today. 1. Ki

Ukrop's Monument 10k Recap

This weekend was my second time toeing the start line of the Ukrop's Monument 10k. It is dubbed RVA's 10k. Some 30,000 racers from elite to walker toed this start line. I toed the line in a non seeded seat. What does that mean? To best explain it here is a excerpt from the Ukrop's Monument 10k page : Wave Categories Seeded Waves  Require proof of time. The first 21 waves are reserved for runners who finish faster than 63 minutes. You may use the following items as proof of time: 2017  or  2018  Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k finish time Results from any other race since January 1, 2018: Finisher’s certificate, printed race result, website results or a newspaper clipping We can convert any race, from a 5k up to a marathon, into an  10k Time Conversion Chart . For more information about Seeded Waves and our new Sub 40 Club,  click here . Non-Qualified Running Waves  DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to finish faster than 70 minutes (11:16 per mil