Skip to main content

Rock 'N' Roll Raleigh Half Marathon


 Raleigh, Oh sweet rolling hills Raleigh. If you read last post, Monument 10k Recap, then you are aware that the day before this race I ran a 10k with my husband. Almost immediately after the race, we showered and ate of course,  hopped in the car ad took the 2 hour drive south to the hilly Raleigh, NC. Monument 10k took place on Saturday April 1st and on April 2nd I challenged my body to keep up with my mind. I'm happy to report it did.. and did better than expected!!!



Expo:

The Rock and Roll Marathon series has a pretty strict no exceptions rule to their bib pick up. That is that no one is allowed to pick up your bib but you. Normally this rule wouldn't bother me as I enjoy the expo experience however with me coming from a race and driving down I was concerned I might miss the expo time on Saturday as the closed at 5 pm. Thankfully we pulled into downtown Raleigh at about 3:15 pm. We paid for parking across from the expo and walked in. The venue was huge but it was empty which made for a smooth bib pick up. With tired legs I didn't want to spend long at the expo so I grabbed my bib, had a gait analysis done and was off to our hotel in Midtown. 

 Sunday Morning

The race started at 7 am and my plan was to sleep as much as I could. Insomnia didn't help that cause as I laid in the bed checking the time way too often. At 4:45am I received a text from my friend Darlene. "We have to be downtown at 5:30am meet me in the lobby at 5:15am." My only response was, " I'M NOT READY!"  The mad dash began as I stumbled to my feet and grabbed my pile of clothes I left out. 

The only reason I signed up for this race is because my high school track friend/ neighborhood sister Darlene  reached out to me and asked me to do it! She too thought I was crazy when I advised her about the 10k but she didn't tell me not to do it either. At 5:30 am we met in the lobby of our hotel, Hilton Raleigh Midtown. As the basketball playoffs were the night before her and her husband got to the hotel late and it was all over their faces. We were dropped off downtown so the guys could get some additional rest. 

We walked closer to the start line and found a bunch of runners hiding from the wind a parking deck and joined them. With a little warmth it was easier to stretch and fuel for the run. We talked about runs we had planned and cancelled in the past. My half marathon journey and then she drops a bomb... This is her first half marathon. OH NO a virgin! So many thoughts ran through my mind but i settled on the idea that Darlene was a distance runner in high school and although we were older she had maintain an active life. 

At about 7:15 we made our way to the start. We were assigned different corrals but i hung back with Darlene and slipped into her groups. I love how Rock N Roll Series announces little special quarks about the runners at the start. There were several people running on their birthdays, or 100th half and I even got introduced to the Barefoot Runner. The announcer advised that he was running the marathon and that he runs all his races barefoot as there are too many kids who walk daily without shoes! What a great guy. 

Barefoot runner 
The race took off. Now let me let you in on the fact that Darlene said we would run 12 minute miles. 12 minute miles is not what she did.. at all!!! I managed to keep up with her as she bobbed and weaved around people, mile 1: 9:24. Whoosh, it was fast but it felt good. I'm going to be honest I really loved this race! At the end of mile 1 there were a group of people handing out bacon!!! Omg bacon! I didn't grab any but the smells made me smile. 

Mile 2: 9:05. At this point it was clear to  me that Darlene and I would not be running this race together and more importantly, although it was her first half she was well equipped to beast it alone, so I pulled back going up the first of many hills at mile 3: 9:58. 

My body was feeling strong and reacting just as I hoped. I realized that in order to finish this race strong I needed to run my race. I did some quick math in my head and readjusted my speed: mile 4: 10:54. At about mile 5 I saw my husband which helped me give a little kick 10:10. There was music at almost every 2 miles. Between the bands and the constant crowd the race felt quicker than most to me. At the 10k point I was overcome with emotions.. PR! I Pr'd my 10k on tired legs at a half marathon!!

This is when I started to feel the fatigue in my legs and I knew I would have to switch my mental focus. I wasn't racing to PR, there was nothing forcing me to pick up the pace and most importantly I didn't want to walk away with a new injury. Adjust, adjust adjust, I told myself., and adjust I did. At this point I had not seen Darlene since mile 3, my husband since mile 5 and I wanted a little boost. And then there it was, my brother was at mile 8!! Omg I was so happy to see him! He smiled and told me I was doing great but I needed to push to catch Darlene. I laughed and carried on at my slow pace. 

The hardest part of the race for me was Mile 11-13.1. I felt like it was close enough so I kept telling myself it was almost over, however turn after turn and there was no finish line in sight. I'll be the first to admit, at about mile 10 on every half marathon to date I have questioned my own sanity. This was no different, but I carried on. We came to a bridge and I recall dazing off at the side looking at the sun coming up and the trains passing by, I was pulled out of my trance by screams.. Omg the finish line was ahead. I buckled down and started my gallop to the finish. I glanced at my watch and thought if I pushed it I could get in under 2:20. Darlene and I had agreed that if we had anything left we would sprint to the finish. As I pushed I could feel someone come up beside me, I locked my eyes on that finish line, dropped my head, opened my stride and sprinted to the finish line like I had done so many times in my youth. It felt great!!!! Oh the person I felt coming up beside me was a man.. and no he did not pass me! He just fueled my push, thanks mister.

Pros: 

  • Price. Groupon came through for the save! I registered for this race pretty late but with a groupon code I was able to snag it for 63.99!! Winning! 
  • Course. The hills of Raleigh were definitely rolling but I actually enjoyed the change in elevation and the challenge it put my body through. 
  • Organized. Well put together from the expo, to water to the finish line snacks it was all smooth sailing. 
  • Atmosphere. The bands, the crowd support and even the volunteers and other runners made this run so much fun! 
  • Race Swag. I loved my race shirt, bright and true to size. Medal was beautiful and Rock and Roll gives you a bag that favors a book bag for bag check.. it was pretty neat. 

Cons:

  • I don't have one. I thoroughly enjoyed this race. I enjoyed it so much that I have been searching for another RnR to run and I am pretty sure I will be signing up for Va Beach over labor day.. Groupon has another great deal!!  

Overall

I will be back at another Rock and Roll running series. I will run with Darlene again on fresh legs. Oh you may want to know what happened at the end lol... I finished with an official time of 2:21:49 and Darlene crushed her first half marathon at 2:05! I strongly believe had she picked the right corral she would have hit a sub 2 hour half which by the way is my upcoming goal! SUB 2 HOURS here I come!!! 
I've signed up for the heavy medal challenge.. VA beach.. I think I'm coming for you! 

Pictures:

From Monument to Rock 'N' Roll

Pre race photo. 

The crowd

Rep BGR and Richmond everywhere! 


10k PR!!! I am so  ready for the Carytown 10k  race

Post race lovings!!! 

During 
After



Note from Management: 

I am NOT a Rock 'n' Roll blogger.. all thoughts are always my own!

Keep up with me on Instagram


Comments

The People's Choice:

Kill Gym Funk with Vinegar!

Vinegar and gym funk? Say what! Yup Vinegar can kill gym funk. If you've been in the kitchen, watched Doctor Oz or ever did research on losing weight you've heard the word vinegar before. Health nuts drink the red type. Red vinegar is actually used by a number of naturalist to clean their hair and flush fat. White vinegar was a staple in my childhood as my mom used it to clean chicken, wash mirrors and windows and after one trip to Canada, wash clothes. Those of you in the laundry business know what I am talking about. My mom's cousin owned his own laundry mat in Ontario, Canada. One summer changed the course of laundry in my home. Uncle Carl, as I called him, told mom he placed white vinegar in the washing machines to help brighten and whiten the clothes. Over the years I got away from using vinegar on all my loads but recently came back to it. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider using vinegar in your laundry, especially your gym clothes today. 1. Ki

Ukrop's Monument 10k Recap

This weekend was my second time toeing the start line of the Ukrop's Monument 10k. It is dubbed RVA's 10k. Some 30,000 racers from elite to walker toed this start line. I toed the line in a non seeded seat. What does that mean? To best explain it here is a excerpt from the Ukrop's Monument 10k page : Wave Categories Seeded Waves  Require proof of time. The first 21 waves are reserved for runners who finish faster than 63 minutes. You may use the following items as proof of time: 2017  or  2018  Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k finish time Results from any other race since January 1, 2018: Finisher’s certificate, printed race result, website results or a newspaper clipping We can convert any race, from a 5k up to a marathon, into an  10k Time Conversion Chart . For more information about Seeded Waves and our new Sub 40 Club,  click here . Non-Qualified Running Waves  DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to finish faster than 70 minutes (11:16 per mil