Skip to main content

Carytown 10K Recap

Carytown has a special spot in my heart. When I started on my race journey I decided that I wanted to test myself with a road race. i reached out to an avid runner friend of mine and he advised me to get a real good gauge on how I am I should run a small race. After some internet searches I came across the Richmond Road Runners and their series of races. The next one being the Carytown 10k, so a few clicks and $30 later I was signed up and ready to go.



I wasn't blogging back then so let me give you a little bit more history.

 There I am, a new runner just out for a run. The first race it rained. Nothing crazy but enough to teach me a lot about road running. I completed that race in 1:08:37. I was so proud and decided medal or no medal I would be back... plus I love the shirts they hand out! 

Flash Forward one year, a half marathon and a lot of confidence. I asked my running bff at the time to run with me. We went out and I did it again. Another great race.

Can you see me back there smiling my life away?!?! Lol! Something about this run just brings me comfort and that year I was able to complete the 10k in 1:05:55. Yet another proud moment! Not to mention all the support.

Now for the recap...

Expo:

This is easy. There isn't one. There were 2 dates to pick up your bib and tech shirt on Friday as well as Saturday from 10-2pm.  It's wasn't until about 1:20pm that it all dawned on me.. I need to get my bib. It was then a mad dash to get myself and the kids together and make the 35 minute drive to the city. I got the The Richmond Road Runner Store at 2:0 pm.. whoosh. I didn't want to have to get up early on Sunday as I was already not feel well... 

Let's take a quick rewind right here. 

After a great run on Thursday my body regressed hard on Friday and I could tell something was going on. I was already doing additional hydration as the race weather was going to be HOT. Saturday morning I was convinced I had the flu. I started Friday night with Severe cold and sinus meds hoping it was just a bad cases of seasonal allergies. When the fevers and chills started late Saturday I knew i was going to have a hard time in the morning.

 Flash forward..

The family and I took a moment to enjoy Carytown. We walked and got some of our favorite all natural Popsicle from The King of Pop cart. As we got our treats I saw the cutest little red head and literally said out loud, " Hey, I know that pretty face." Sure enough I did.. it was one of my Instagram "friends" and inspiration Ashley and her beautiful family (@beingashleydahl). She is an amazing person to follow on Ig with not only pictures of her fitness journey but to see how she balances life as a super mom!! I truly enjoyed talking to her about her journey and upcoming races.. Good luck this weekend!

Race Day:

 This wasn't a singing morning for me. I lazily threw some stuff together the night before so when I woke up in a pool of sweat my mind immediately went to the worse.. I HAVE THE FLU! I looked to my best friend / husband for his input and he said to do it.. so I got dressed and we rushed out of the house. Once we got into the car I really got concerned, would we make it on time?  It would take us 37 minutes to get the start line which put us there after the start of the race. I have never been in this situation and while driving there the thought crossed me several times not to even do it, to turn around and go home. I'm not a quitter and I do not like doing anything without giving it my all.

We arrived at 8:02 am. The race started at 8 am, so I left my husband to park the car and jogged to the start line. Needless to say the race had started, it took almost  .55 miles for me even catch up to the walkers in the back of the pack. At this moment I decided to do what I could and just finish. It was 76 degrees at the start of the race. I love that the Richmond Road runners sent us a warning email the day before reassuring us about water stops and adding in a wet rag at the end of the race.

Mile 1: Starts on Cary St and turns left onto Colonial Ave. I had a little issue here maneuvering around the walkers that had spread out along the open road way. 10:14. I was feeling hopeful.  It was hot but I knew that was going to happen. Floyd Ave had a few people in the streets cheering us on which was much needed. I continued to try and find my rhythm in the hopes that I could still pull off a strong finish. Mile 2: 10:37.

The first water station was around the mile 3 mark when we rounded back to Cary St. Unlike the year before where I ran past the water stops this year I had plans to take in as much as possible mostly because of the high temperatures and my physical state. Mile 3: 11:08. At that moment I let go hopes of a Pr and focused more on finishing. I won't lie and say I didn't think about walking off the course. Again, I'm not a quitter so I kept pushing.

Insert the walk breaks and the dance breaks in attempt to pump myself up. Realistically my body was drained and my brain was tired.My headphones at some point stop wanting to stay on my head and began to add to my growing frustration.  I tried to stick to a young lady and quickly realized her pace was a little too slow. This is when I started to focus on taking over 1 runner at a time. Mile 4: 11:22, mile 5: 11:56. That pace hurt to hear, my pride was screaming no while my body was telling me, "I'm doing all that I can."

 The last mile was only easier because of my husband and a young lady in red shorts I locked in on at about 5.5 miles. I stayed behind her until I saw my husband who tried his best to push me. I tossed him my headphones, thankful to have the weight off of my ears... I love him and all the support he gives me  so much. He could tell I was dead as he jogged long side me yelling form, and smile over and over again. She heard him and my grunts and told me to hang in there. Her and I ran side by side all the way through the finish line with a high five at the end! I didn't get her name but thank you!!!  Mile 6 11:24. Overall I finished the race in 1:10:02.


Acknowledgement:

During the race there was a runner who needed medical assistance. I did not witness anyone down on the course and not much information was being given as the family had not been notified. I pray that all is well with that runner and thank The Richmond Road Runners as well as Richmond Police, EMT and Fire department for being speedy in assisting the runner. 

Pros:

  • Small hometown race.
  • Friendly spectators
  • Well organized. The roads in Carytown do not close for this race with the exception of that part of Cary St where the race starts and finishes, however the cops and race volunteers make sure we are safe along the route
  • Water station this year included both water and gatorade
  • Finish line rags. New this year were wet rags at the end of the race to assist with the cool down. Sadly when i got there they were out but offered a cup of water. I was still feverish and cold water on my body hurt to the touch.. ugh. 

Cons:

  • Tech shirt. I am not sure what happened this year. I can assume that they choose a new vendor but the cut of the shirt is nothing like it use to be. The first race I got a woman's cut, I am not a fan of v-necks and short shirts when I'm working out so in 2016 i switched to men's small and loved it! This year they only offered unisex, however the fit is nothing like the men's small i got last year which fit me much better. 
  • No medal. I knew this going in and I was ok with it until I got my shirt. I would much prefer at least a great tech shirt or a medal to look back on. So it was a little sad.

Pictures: 

My last run before the race. I was pumped and I just knew my Pr was coming.
First attempt to save myself. Plus a gallon of water every day the week prior.
Pile of clothes lol.. meant to be my Flat Tiffany. 
Post race selfie. I was glad it was over.

Post Race turn up!!! 

Official email with stats. 

Up next: 

  • Sports Backers Corporate 5k - June 8th
  • Rock N Roll Half Marathon - Sept 3rd

I will be switching up my training a little bit and trying Beachbody's Core de Force. I've had a great response from Insanity and T25 in the pass so I am looking forward to building some muscle and overall strength. I will post my before pics and measurements here and track my progress. Keep up with me here or on daily basis on Instagram









Comments

The People's Choice:

Kill Gym Funk with Vinegar!

Vinegar and gym funk? Say what! Yup Vinegar can kill gym funk. If you've been in the kitchen, watched Doctor Oz or ever did research on losing weight you've heard the word vinegar before. Health nuts drink the red type. Red vinegar is actually used by a number of naturalist to clean their hair and flush fat. White vinegar was a staple in my childhood as my mom used it to clean chicken, wash mirrors and windows and after one trip to Canada, wash clothes. Those of you in the laundry business know what I am talking about. My mom's cousin owned his own laundry mat in Ontario, Canada. One summer changed the course of laundry in my home. Uncle Carl, as I called him, told mom he placed white vinegar in the washing machines to help brighten and whiten the clothes. Over the years I got away from using vinegar on all my loads but recently came back to it. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider using vinegar in your laundry, especially your gym clothes today. 1. Ki

Ukrop's Monument 10k Recap

This weekend was my second time toeing the start line of the Ukrop's Monument 10k. It is dubbed RVA's 10k. Some 30,000 racers from elite to walker toed this start line. I toed the line in a non seeded seat. What does that mean? To best explain it here is a excerpt from the Ukrop's Monument 10k page : Wave Categories Seeded Waves  Require proof of time. The first 21 waves are reserved for runners who finish faster than 63 minutes. You may use the following items as proof of time: 2017  or  2018  Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k finish time Results from any other race since January 1, 2018: Finisher’s certificate, printed race result, website results or a newspaper clipping We can convert any race, from a 5k up to a marathon, into an  10k Time Conversion Chart . For more information about Seeded Waves and our new Sub 40 Club,  click here . Non-Qualified Running Waves  DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to finish faster than 70 minutes (11:16 per mil