Skip to main content

I think I want to run a marathon…



I think I’m ready I mean.. you know to run a marathon.  I’ve been here before, at the end of last year with all the solo running I was doing. The completion of not 1 but 2 half marathons, solo, had me thinking it was time to conquer the beast… 26.2. Well life happened, a bone spur later I sat most of January and my dreams of completing my first marathon in March of this year was out the window.
 In March  I felt the want again, it was pulling on me like the ocean does when I goes back out to sea. Like when you place your ear to sea shell and you can hear the waves , id plant my feet on the pavement and I’d hear it call out to me.. that tricky 26.2.  I created my own challenge, it was to show me that I can do anything. I ran a 10k on April 1 followed by a half marathon on April 2 and I was able to convince part of me.. I could do this! The other part of me  logically broke down the fact that 19.31 was still a 10k short of 26.2 and the food , rest and ice bath between the two were all a part of the success… or was it?
Mentally I want to do it, I want to be a part  of the 1% in world that do it.. complete a full marathon. Physically I know with the right training I can do anything my mind is committed it to. I just can’t seem to get them both to sign on at the same time. This reminds me of my struggle with the half marathon:  In 2014, while I was starting my road racing journey, my friend asked me to run a half marathon. After laughing at her as she lived out of town and couldn’t train with me I advised another friend who had been running with me that we should do the half. She was enthused to do it and we started reading everything and running all the time… smh. We were so new to long distance running that injuries kept all 3 of us from running… mine being crippling fear! Lol
With my half  marathon experience being my learning curve I am NOT training for a marathon by myself. Throughout my last year of running I’ve met a lot of runners, locally and internationally and many have you have said the same thing… Marathon training alone is hard!  Since the marathon is already hard and  the increase in mileage on these flat feet won’t be easy I’m not in the business of setting myself up for failure.  The last year has brought me closer to several women in my community that motivate me. They are actually all affiliated with Sports Backers in one way or another and have been pushing  me to Join MTT… so I guess this should have said to MTT or not?
I’ve attempted to use my 2 small kids, 9 and 4, my 50 hour work week, and my lack of alone time with husband all as an excuse not to do this. I have used the time it will take me to drive to Richmond, 30 minutes to an hour, plus my commute back at 6 am most morning this summer, to all of this my husband said… we will figure out a way to adjust. Go get it done!  I have the best husband in the whole world! He is so supportive and such a great motivator!
 The crazy/cool  thing is I have the day off before and after the Richmond Marathon off. I ran the half marathon last year and loved it and my initial idea was to run it this year in hopes of a pr. I want to at some point in this running journey I want the following PRs: 10k: 60 minutes and under; 13.1: 2 hours and under.. and of course Marathon: COMPLETE! 

So here I am. A runner with a dream, a runner being held back by fear.. A runner about to commit to the next big step in her running journey… 26.2. Richmond 40th here I come!  

I'm 100% committed to being better than my yesterday... Are you? 

Comments

The People's Choice:

Kill Gym Funk with Vinegar!

Vinegar and gym funk? Say what! Yup Vinegar can kill gym funk. If you've been in the kitchen, watched Doctor Oz or ever did research on losing weight you've heard the word vinegar before. Health nuts drink the red type. Red vinegar is actually used by a number of naturalist to clean their hair and flush fat. White vinegar was a staple in my childhood as my mom used it to clean chicken, wash mirrors and windows and after one trip to Canada, wash clothes. Those of you in the laundry business know what I am talking about. My mom's cousin owned his own laundry mat in Ontario, Canada. One summer changed the course of laundry in my home. Uncle Carl, as I called him, told mom he placed white vinegar in the washing machines to help brighten and whiten the clothes. Over the years I got away from using vinegar on all my loads but recently came back to it. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider using vinegar in your laundry, especially your gym clothes today. 1. Ki

Ukrop's Monument 10k Recap

This weekend was my second time toeing the start line of the Ukrop's Monument 10k. It is dubbed RVA's 10k. Some 30,000 racers from elite to walker toed this start line. I toed the line in a non seeded seat. What does that mean? To best explain it here is a excerpt from the Ukrop's Monument 10k page : Wave Categories Seeded Waves  Require proof of time. The first 21 waves are reserved for runners who finish faster than 63 minutes. You may use the following items as proof of time: 2017  or  2018  Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k finish time Results from any other race since January 1, 2018: Finisher’s certificate, printed race result, website results or a newspaper clipping We can convert any race, from a 5k up to a marathon, into an  10k Time Conversion Chart . For more information about Seeded Waves and our new Sub 40 Club,  click here . Non-Qualified Running Waves  DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to finish faster than 70 minutes (11:16 per mil