Skip to main content

Marathon Training Week 1 & Day 1 of MTT

Prior to signing up for the Sports Backers Marathon Training team on Friday, June 23, I started to get back in my swing of workouts. Whether I was going to actual do the marathon or not I still have to prep for my half marathon in September. Labor day weekend, weather permitting, I will have be tackling my first beach run at Virginia Beach Rock and Roll half Marathon.


Here is the recap of my training for Monday June 19th- Sunday June 25th:

Monday:

It felt like I was starting all over. Then again I truly was starting over. I hadn't worked out since prior to June and my last run was a Corporate 5k the second week of June. I started off slowly, on my lunch break like usual. I pulled up my Nike Plus Training app and picked a workout that was aimed towards endurance. I like having the opportunity to pick what I'm working on. 
 The workout: Plank Jump 
 It started of with a warm up which consisted of 20 seconds of each of the following workouts: 
  • Knee hugs
  •  Tin soldiers
  •  Body weight squats
  •  Cross back lunges (alternating)
  •  Walkouts 
The next part is the Endurance portion. This is where I pushed myself to get the most out of the workout.

  •  Step up knee with drives for  40 sec


30 second of each:
  •  High planks
  • Dumbbell  rows with 15 lbs
  •  Reverse lunges alternating legs
  •  Lateral  lunges 

Rest for 10 seconds
  •  Step up knee with drives for  50 sec
 30 second of each:
  •  High planks
  • Dumbbell  rows with 15 lbs
  •  Reverse lunges alternating legs
  •  Lateral  lunges 
Rest for 10 seconds
  •  Step up knee with drives for 60 sec
30 second of each:
  •  High planks
  • Dumbbell  rows with 15 lbs
  •  Reverse lunges alternating legs
  •  Lateral  lunges 
To finish there was a 1 minute Worlds Greatest Stretch, I love this move.

Tuesday: 

Run day!! Nike Plus asked for a 10 minute run. So I did a mile to warm up, turned on the app and did the 10 and then finished up a 5k before running back to the house
  • Mile 1: 10:40/mi
  • Mile 2: 10:58/mi
  • Mile 3: 11:04/ mi
  • .13: 9:02/mi
  • Average: 3.13 miles @ 10:50/mi

Nike workout: 10 minutes: 10:19/mi for .97 miles. Just under 1 mile. 

Wednesday:

Abs class. I forgot my sneakers so I was unable to do a running warm up like I wanted to. My warm up consisted of : 2 rounds of 10 Jumping jacks, 10 squats, 10 mountain climbers and push ups. 
Followed by a lovely ab workout led by my jobs trainer Holly. 
We had time at the end and held a 45 second plan prior to doing Cobra pose to stretch the abs back out. Catch the video of my plank in Chucks on my IG page.

Thursday:

Run day! With 100% humidity I struggled to get my butt out of the house. Finally out and about and I had to lose my shirt... It was just way too hot! Nike plus called for a 15 minute Benchmark run. The run was broken down into a 7 minute warm up, 3minute tempo (as fast as you can), followed by a 5 minute cool down. I started with a 1 mile warm up then turn on the app. 

It was hard to push those middle minutes but I am proud to say i was able to maintain 8:06-7:42/ mi for the 3 minute push! 
  • Mile 1: 11:26/mi
  • Mile 2: 10:14/mi
  • Mile 3: 11:38/mi
  • .10: 11:16/mi
  • Average 3.10 miles : 11:06/mi

Friday:

It became a rest/ decision day and let's just say I am so happy I made the decision! This is going to be an amazing journey and I hope you will come along. Share your tips, share your wins and loses. I believe in each one teach one and I hope to inspire others through my journey! Thanks to all those who pushed me towards this decision. I'm excited to become a Marathoner!!!

Last year the Half Marathon this year the FULL!!! 

Saturday: 

Rest day. Well active rest day when you have a 9 and 4 year old! 

Out with the kids.. See my water bottle in the back. H2O is life! 

Sunday:

MTT Day 1:
The emotions it evoked reminded me of the first day of school. You know those flood of concerns that over takes your first day at any grade level. Will they like me? Will I fit in? What does muy outfit say about me? Will I die? LOL! Well maybe not the last one. Maybe that isn't an emotion from the first day of school, for some, but it was on my mind nonetheless. 

In true Tiffany fashion I showed up exactly at 7am. It was a 40 minute drive and my nerves kept me tied to throne more than I had prepared for. When I arrived I was shocked by the amount of people that were there. I'm not sure why it brought shock as I am from one of the greatest running communities on the east coast! 

I stumbled out of the car with my stuff, I watched one group take off and I thought, " If that's my group I'm heading home." Mentally I can be my worse enemy.. something else I will be working on in the coming months. I walked up to a group still talking and started getting myself in order when here came Wonder Woman! My friend Louise loves Wonder woman lol! She walked up and welcomed me. Introduced me to another Instagram friend Tiffany and then up walked my friend and Fitness Warrior leader Jacki. She got me all signed in and ready to go with directions and some tips about the group. 
 And then we were off: 


MTT Pros and cons:

Pros:

  • Lots of people at different paces
  • Friendly Atmosphere
  • H2O/ gatorade stop at mile 3.6
  • Printed Run Directions
  • Gatorade/ H2O after 

Cons: 

  • No information about meetup. I signed up late... MTT started on June 3rd, my birthday. I signed up at 9 pm on Friday. As of noon today I haven't received any emails other than the confirmation that I was signed up. Thank goodness I have friends on the team. 
  • Distance. I live 40 minutes outside of the city of Richmond. Wish they had more local runs.. but my neighborhood doesn't have many runners so to Richmond I drive! 


Comments

The People's Choice:

Kill Gym Funk with Vinegar!

Vinegar and gym funk? Say what! Yup Vinegar can kill gym funk. If you've been in the kitchen, watched Doctor Oz or ever did research on losing weight you've heard the word vinegar before. Health nuts drink the red type. Red vinegar is actually used by a number of naturalist to clean their hair and flush fat. White vinegar was a staple in my childhood as my mom used it to clean chicken, wash mirrors and windows and after one trip to Canada, wash clothes. Those of you in the laundry business know what I am talking about. My mom's cousin owned his own laundry mat in Ontario, Canada. One summer changed the course of laundry in my home. Uncle Carl, as I called him, told mom he placed white vinegar in the washing machines to help brighten and whiten the clothes. Over the years I got away from using vinegar on all my loads but recently came back to it. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider using vinegar in your laundry, especially your gym clothes today. 1. Ki

Ukrop's Monument 10k Recap

This weekend was my second time toeing the start line of the Ukrop's Monument 10k. It is dubbed RVA's 10k. Some 30,000 racers from elite to walker toed this start line. I toed the line in a non seeded seat. What does that mean? To best explain it here is a excerpt from the Ukrop's Monument 10k page : Wave Categories Seeded Waves  Require proof of time. The first 21 waves are reserved for runners who finish faster than 63 minutes. You may use the following items as proof of time: 2017  or  2018  Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k finish time Results from any other race since January 1, 2018: Finisher’s certificate, printed race result, website results or a newspaper clipping We can convert any race, from a 5k up to a marathon, into an  10k Time Conversion Chart . For more information about Seeded Waves and our new Sub 40 Club,  click here . Non-Qualified Running Waves  DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to finish faster than 70 minutes (11:16 per mil