Skip to main content

An Emotional look at this last Half Marathon.... (Race photos included)

A friend asked me to write her an email about my half experience and this is what I wrote: 

So let’s start with all the nerves that bubbled up in my stomach lol! You know I’ve run a half marathon before, 13.1 miles of torture and mental strength, but I did it with my best friend and this time around I was alone! IT WAS COLD! And I am not a fan of the cold so at 530 am I had to readjust my entire outfit for the race, which of course brought more nerves and uncertainty. Either way I got it together and headed out.


The race stated at 7am. Cold, dark and alone I head to the start which had 100s of eager and less nervous runner. This started to release some of the fears I had. When they called for runners to line up, the excitement kicked in. I had a goal to beat the old me and that was what I was going to do! I found comfort next to an older man, he reminded me of Carl. He had on the same bright green shirt like me but had these words written on his back,” I can do all things through  Christ who strengthens me. “- Philippians 4: 13   This was the reminder I needed that no matter what happened while I was out there. NO matter how fast or slow I went I could do this cause God is in me and I can do anything I put my mind to! So I took off.. I never did see that man again which made him feel more like an Angel to me.. silly maybe but it helped. There were so many times I wanted to quit. I ran past where one of my friends lived and thought about knocking on her door and waiting for my husband to come get me. Thank God I didn’t. I pushed past those emotions, locked my eyes on the girl in front of me and decided that she wasn’t crossing that finish line without me, she would be my next "best friend". Mile 5 brought I huge surprise.. MY HUSBAND! He had been tracking me and was able to get a few pic of me running. Then at mile 8 my kids were with him and they ran alongside me…. But wait the best part was mile 11… I was dead! I wanted to walk the rest of the way cause my legs were on fire. I prayed, I cried, I sang and then I saw Averie, my 3 year old. He came flying down the road towards me, throws his hands up for me to pick him up. I swear if I had the strength left I would have picked him up, swung him around and kept going but that wasn’t happening.. I just couldn’t.  So I looked him in the eyes and said “ Boss race me, ready set go!” Off he went racing back towards his dad and I picked up my pace to keep up with him! Boy did he save me! He had the cops laughing and cheering us on which was everything I needed to finish out strong! No more want to quit now I just wanted to go home, which means I had to finish! At this point my running app tells me that I have a projection of finishing the race in 2:26 minutes, OH NO I WON’T  I said to myself, remember the goal was to beat the old me. I pushed like I never pushed before.. I knew this time around it would be the end! 2:23:53 seconds beat my last half marathon of 2:26:15. Hills and all I did it!!!! Talk about a sense of pride.. you couldn’t tell I was in pain when I crossed that finish line.. Both hands high in the sky and a smile as big as the Cheshire Cat, I bowed my head Thanked God and was adorned with metal! What an amazing feeling! To be done, to have accomplished yet another goal and prove to myself I’m stronger and better than my yesterday!~  My grandma always said, “ Good. Better. Best. Never you rest, until your good is better and your better is your best!” Be the best you can be every day and in everything you do!!!  Oh my best friend, she finished right in front of me. She even came to tell me to tell my family thank you cause she pretended they were there for her as well.. I laughed and Thanked her.. I let her on a secret she helped me get across the line cause I refuse to let her out of my sight!!! You never know the blessing you are or can be for others!


This race was so much more than just learning that my body could do this, I deep down already knew that. I learned that my family would never let me do anything alone. I learned that my husband would drive all over to assure my safety. I know that i never have to travel anywhere in life alone cause even when I couldn't see them I knew they were thinking of me. Beyond my family I had God.  

Without further ado here are race photos!!

Boss doesn't like to be told NO

Finally he ran with me!



My 3 year old Averie aka Boss

My 8 year old Alijaha

The pain of running and joy of seeing my family is all over my face

That's my "best friend". She was thanking me for my family! 


Trump, Hillary and this guy.. This Guy wins every time!! LOL



Comments

The People's Choice:

Kill Gym Funk with Vinegar!

Vinegar and gym funk? Say what! Yup Vinegar can kill gym funk. If you've been in the kitchen, watched Doctor Oz or ever did research on losing weight you've heard the word vinegar before. Health nuts drink the red type. Red vinegar is actually used by a number of naturalist to clean their hair and flush fat. White vinegar was a staple in my childhood as my mom used it to clean chicken, wash mirrors and windows and after one trip to Canada, wash clothes. Those of you in the laundry business know what I am talking about. My mom's cousin owned his own laundry mat in Ontario, Canada. One summer changed the course of laundry in my home. Uncle Carl, as I called him, told mom he placed white vinegar in the washing machines to help brighten and whiten the clothes. Over the years I got away from using vinegar on all my loads but recently came back to it. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider using vinegar in your laundry, especially your gym clothes today. 1. Ki

Ukrop's Monument 10k Recap

This weekend was my second time toeing the start line of the Ukrop's Monument 10k. It is dubbed RVA's 10k. Some 30,000 racers from elite to walker toed this start line. I toed the line in a non seeded seat. What does that mean? To best explain it here is a excerpt from the Ukrop's Monument 10k page : Wave Categories Seeded Waves  Require proof of time. The first 21 waves are reserved for runners who finish faster than 63 minutes. You may use the following items as proof of time: 2017  or  2018  Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k finish time Results from any other race since January 1, 2018: Finisher’s certificate, printed race result, website results or a newspaper clipping We can convert any race, from a 5k up to a marathon, into an  10k Time Conversion Chart . For more information about Seeded Waves and our new Sub 40 Club,  click here . Non-Qualified Running Waves  DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to finish faster than 70 minutes (11:16 per mil