Skip to main content

For the love of running


Where did you fall in love with running? My answer is simple, the first time I out ran a boy! DAH lol! I've always been an active child participating in dance and soccer since a young age. My parents are from the island of Jamaica and although they are not big on participating in sports they made sure that we were. When I realized that I could out run my male cousins I didn't want to go to dance class anymore.  So i didn't.. I continued soccer and added other sports to the mix such as volleyball, cheerleading, basketball and softball. It took one time from home plate to first base for the softball coach to tell me to grab my stuff and head to the track. I fell deep in love that day!

It was my sophomore year at Springfield Central High School. I stepped foot on my school's black, tar paved track and was introduced to the 100 m, 200 m, 4x100m long jump and triple jump and well I never turned back. I had always looked up to Jackie Joyner-Kersee as she was not only an African American Olympiad but an asthmatic athlete that never let her medical issue be a reason to not be her best and let's be real, what little girl doesn't want a hero that can show her she can overcome!  So with inhaler in hand I endured " indian runs", I've recently learn it's like a fartlek! I loved track and field so I love when my half marathon training calls for speed work, because where better to run 5x 400m hen at a track where i know when the 400m is up.

Let's review what you just learned:

  1.  I fell in love with running racing family (sprints)
  2. I fell deeper in love with running during track and field
  3. During track and field I ran sprints.  Anyone else seeing a common thread here?!?!?!
So today's run, which was really yesterday run, happened on the track. This is why i think of all the runs over the past 3 weeks this run made me happy. I was suppose to do 5x800 at 9'53" pace.   In my mind that means I have to sprint two laps and sprint two laps I did! I was so happy and so proud that not only did I get the run in prior to work. Not only did I overcome my want to lay in my bed I did my run and I did my run very well..

 Here's a look at the splits: 
  • 829 m - 8'33"
  • 818m - 8'25"
  • 807m- 8'33'
  • 815m - 8'39"
  • 826m - 8:40
After pushing back my run a day.. I Killed and never felt so good!
  •  
For overall pace: 8'34.. I'll take that!!! Recovery run tomorrow... follow me on Nike Run Club: Tiffany Copeland or Ladienvi25, IG: @HerbNRun




Comments

The People's Choice:

Kill Gym Funk with Vinegar!

Vinegar and gym funk? Say what! Yup Vinegar can kill gym funk. If you've been in the kitchen, watched Doctor Oz or ever did research on losing weight you've heard the word vinegar before. Health nuts drink the red type. Red vinegar is actually used by a number of naturalist to clean their hair and flush fat. White vinegar was a staple in my childhood as my mom used it to clean chicken, wash mirrors and windows and after one trip to Canada, wash clothes. Those of you in the laundry business know what I am talking about. My mom's cousin owned his own laundry mat in Ontario, Canada. One summer changed the course of laundry in my home. Uncle Carl, as I called him, told mom he placed white vinegar in the washing machines to help brighten and whiten the clothes. Over the years I got away from using vinegar on all my loads but recently came back to it. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider using vinegar in your laundry, especially your gym clothes today. 1. Ki

Ukrop's Monument 10k Recap

This weekend was my second time toeing the start line of the Ukrop's Monument 10k. It is dubbed RVA's 10k. Some 30,000 racers from elite to walker toed this start line. I toed the line in a non seeded seat. What does that mean? To best explain it here is a excerpt from the Ukrop's Monument 10k page : Wave Categories Seeded Waves  Require proof of time. The first 21 waves are reserved for runners who finish faster than 63 minutes. You may use the following items as proof of time: 2017  or  2018  Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k finish time Results from any other race since January 1, 2018: Finisher’s certificate, printed race result, website results or a newspaper clipping We can convert any race, from a 5k up to a marathon, into an  10k Time Conversion Chart . For more information about Seeded Waves and our new Sub 40 Club,  click here . Non-Qualified Running Waves  DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to finish faster than 70 minutes (11:16 per mil