Skip to main content

Spoiler there's a new PR in town!

What an amazing race day!!! Let's talk about.
Petersburg Halloween Half Marathon

I was awoken by the sound of barking dogs, my alarm, at 5:30am. Based on the weather report, I  was expecting temps in the mid 40s. So when I open my eyes and checked the weather app imagine my surprise when I see that it's 35 but feels like 29 and boy did it!


I had to readjust my outfit choice and switched from my dri- fit cool Nike long sleeves to my under armour cold weather top. I'm so happy I did cause all the way up until mile 10 I was cold.

I ate a banana while I got dressed and had a discussion with my husband about my nerves. Took his reassurance that I could do this, grabbed my cold weather hoodie and got to the car. Nice and toasty leather seats awaited me... thank God for that! Drove the 15 minutes into downtown Petersburg and found a close parking spot with 20 minutes until race time.

I stumbled around with my running gloves, later electing to leave them and hopped out of the car and headed to the Historic Union Train Station. Mixed all together were runners of all ages and costumes. Fairies and Captain America, tinkerbells and skeletons, even passed by Donald and Hilary. The train station was surely a plus as we could stay warm, hear all announcements and were located right by the start!

The front of Union Station after the race. 

After checking out some more costumes I decided to stretch and head to the start line. Within seconds, or so it felt, we were off! I didn't see any pacers so I just took off with a group of people. When I rounded the first .5 miles within 4:25, I was shocked. This was going to be 9 minute mile and that wasn't the plan. But wait what was the plan... um hello there was none! This was suppose to be just another long run. I knew I needed preserve energy so as I went to pull back smack in front of me was the first of many hills! The course had an elevation gain of 511ft!!!

The hills naturally slowed me. Once to the top I was able to pick my pace back up. I ran past my favorite Chinese food place, the stores and parks I used to take my kids to. Ran through the neighborhoods where I first started running. Past the track do some of my speed work at. The hills they were brutal but the memories that flew through as I ran a place I once called home was greater.

With the mindset that this was just another long run, the hills were conquered by a combination of runs and walks. I am so thankful for this run because it gave me the chance to get some hill work in as well as pinpoint the perfect spots to do some additional hill work in the very near future. Although I walked parts of this race I still managed to finish in 2:23:56 which is 3 minutes faster than my last!!! I'm so excited and proud of myself.

My lovely family! And the start of the race

But wait... there's more! 

My husband... my kids, this amazing clan that we have formed!! Thanks to RaceJoy's partnership with the Petersburg Halloween Half Marathon was able to track me and popped up at miles 5,8 and 11! They brought to not only me but to all the runners near me as one runner even stopped me to tell them "thank you." At mile 11 my 3 year old son, Averie, I call him boss, saw me coming down the street. He runs down to me and immediately throws his arms up, gesturing for me to pick him up. I look my boy in the eyes and told him, "race me" and off we went!  When I looked up the officers who supported the race were cheering us on and smiling and there stood a photographer... I really hope he documented that moment cause if he did the moment it goes on sale its mine and I'll come back and share with you all!!! I can't thank them, my family, the officers, even the race volunteers enough for their support during this race!!! It was brutal but I did!!!  Half Marathon 2 in the books! Now time to stretch and repeat lol!
Race Joy tells you your predicted finish time as well.. It was different.


The start and finish of the race 

Quick Review of the Race: 

Would I do it again? YES. The half marathon was well marked. The police officers were very helpful and kept traffic away from runners. Water was where it was promised and they offered gels more than once. The staff was friendly and helped to push you along as well! (Thanks to the guy at mile 10.. your words helped alot! )

Shortcomings:


 I didn't see the porta potties that were promised but I also didn't need them. PACERS...   I was looking forward to trying one but didnt see any. There is a lack of crowd in this race, which I was well aware of.  I think RACEJOY at least for me helped to me to not feel unsupported as my family chased me all around Petersburg. P. S It helped that my husband knew the town inside and out lol. All and all I will be back next year.. unless I'm traveling!


Comments

The People's Choice:

Kill Gym Funk with Vinegar!

Vinegar and gym funk? Say what! Yup Vinegar can kill gym funk. If you've been in the kitchen, watched Doctor Oz or ever did research on losing weight you've heard the word vinegar before. Health nuts drink the red type. Red vinegar is actually used by a number of naturalist to clean their hair and flush fat. White vinegar was a staple in my childhood as my mom used it to clean chicken, wash mirrors and windows and after one trip to Canada, wash clothes. Those of you in the laundry business know what I am talking about. My mom's cousin owned his own laundry mat in Ontario, Canada. One summer changed the course of laundry in my home. Uncle Carl, as I called him, told mom he placed white vinegar in the washing machines to help brighten and whiten the clothes. Over the years I got away from using vinegar on all my loads but recently came back to it. Here are 5 reasons why you should consider using vinegar in your laundry, especially your gym clothes today. 1. Ki

Ukrop's Monument 10k Recap

This weekend was my second time toeing the start line of the Ukrop's Monument 10k. It is dubbed RVA's 10k. Some 30,000 racers from elite to walker toed this start line. I toed the line in a non seeded seat. What does that mean? To best explain it here is a excerpt from the Ukrop's Monument 10k page : Wave Categories Seeded Waves  Require proof of time. The first 21 waves are reserved for runners who finish faster than 63 minutes. You may use the following items as proof of time: 2017  or  2018  Ukrop’s Monument Avenue 10k finish time Results from any other race since January 1, 2018: Finisher’s certificate, printed race result, website results or a newspaper clipping We can convert any race, from a 5k up to a marathon, into an  10k Time Conversion Chart . For more information about Seeded Waves and our new Sub 40 Club,  click here . Non-Qualified Running Waves  DO NOT require proof. For anyone planning to finish faster than 70 minutes (11:16 per mil